One of THE most common mistakes I see at meets is a botched first attempt (opener).
So many lifters open too heavy and either:
- end up too heavy too soon where they end up needing to take their attempts too close together which fatigues them too much for a quality third; or
- Miss their opener and spend the rest of their attempts doing damage control
As one of my early mentors in the sport once told me:
“Your opener should be a weight you can hit for an easy triple on a bad day… with a cold”
At the end of the day, nobody remembers your opener unless you miss it.
A good rule of thumb is to open with ~88-91% of your 1RM to set yourself up for an optimal 3rd attempt.
Have you ever missed a first attempt at a meet? Let me know in the comments below.
1. Follow me on Instagram (@strongeryoupt) where you can find even more lifting tutorials, and content around becoming the strongest lifter you can be.
2. Get a free copy of my “StrongerYou Strength Programs” HERE using password “StartingPL”
3. Join the “Momentum Program” and become a case study. I’ll work with you 1-on-1 to develop a customized coaching strategy, get rid of your current pains and consistently add pounds to the bar. Just put the word “COACHING” into an message here and I’ll get in touch to see if you’d be a good fit.